Early Years Foundation Stage
In the Early years Foundation Stage (EYFS) at Meldreth Primary School
our aims are to: –
• provide a happy, caring, safe and secure environment for learning
• plan learning experiences that meet the individual needs and interests of the children through a balanced provision of adult led and child initiated opportunities
• support children to become competent and confident learners so they are able to reach their full potential
• provide a broad and balanced high quality curriculum in line with the Early Years Foundation Stage guidance
• foster positive home school links with parents and other care providers.
We follow The Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum which came into effect in September 2012. This framework is a means of ensuring high standards of early education and care that will reassure parents that their child’s development is being fully supported. It underpins all future learning by supporting and fostering the children’s personal, social and emotional wellbeing. It encourages positive attitudes and dispositions towards learning in the children and promotes learning through play.
All children in the EYFS at Meldreth Primary School are encouraged to enjoy and share books with each other, individually and with an adult. A meeting is held in school for parents at the beginning of the Autumn Term to explain in detail about reading and phonics in the EYFS and school life in general. The children use ‘Letters and Sounds’ which is a synthetic phonics approach to learning to read and write, and more information is given about this at that meeting.
Assessment in the Reception is done in line with the ‘Early Years Foundation Stage’ and staff observe the children to create a ‘learning journal’ which evidences the child’s progress through the Foundation Stage. This year we are trialling a new national baseline assessment alongside our cluster (local) schools. Parents are also invited in every half-term to see the journals and to add their own comments, although they can do this at any time. We also have two formal parents’ evening during the year.