During their time at Meldreth Primary School, your child will learn about the six main religions (Christianity, Islam, Sikhism, Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism) and be encouraged to explore their own beliefs in light of what they learn. It is hoped that the children will use these lessons to inform their own values and morals and develop their awareness of themselves and others.
At Meldreth we plan the religious education curriculum in accordance with the Cambridgeshire LA’s Agreed Syllabus. We ensure that the topics studied build upon prior learning. We offer opportunities for children of all abilities to develop their skills and knowledge in each unit, and we ensure that the planned progression built into the scheme of work offers the children an increasing challenge as they move through school.
Through the teaching of Religious Education we aim to:
- Develop moral and social understanding through exploring the concepts of religion and belief and their roles in the spiritual, moral and cultural lives of the people in our society
- Develop an awareness of spiritual and moral issues in life experiences
- Develop an understanding of religious traditions and to appreciate the cultural differences in Britain today
- Develop knowledge and understanding of Christianity and other major world religions and value systems found in Britain
- Have an understanding of what it means to be committed to a religious tradition
- Provide opportunities to promote an ethos of respect for others, challenge stereotypes, celebrate diversity and build an understanding of other cultures and beliefs
- Be able to reflect on own experiences and to develop a personal response to the fundamental questions of life