Lilac includes wordless picture books that encourage young children to tell their own stories. At this level, children are beginning to discover books and developing their core speaking and listening skills.
- Hold a book correctly
- Look at the pages in the correct order
- Know the differences between words and pictures
- Understand that each letter is different
- Say who and what the book is about
- Talk about the pictures and create their own stories
How to support your child
Your child is beginning to discover the excitement of books. Although these books have no words, they are an important introduction to reading. Please encourage your child to:
- Look at the pages in order, and talk about what is happening on the left hand page before the right hand page.
- Talk about what is happening on each page, rather than just talking about what they see in each picture.
- Tell you who or what the book is about.