“Never be within doors when you can rightly be without.”
“We are all meant to be naturalists, each in his own degree, and it is inexcusable to live in a world so full of the marvels of plant and animal life and to care for none of these things.”
Our Secret Garden is an amazing place!
Located to the left of our school field, the area is a wonderful wilderness for children explore throughout the school year. It has a pond, bug hotel and much more planned for children can explore. We plan for our secret garden to become a wonderful outdoor classroom for many science and creative projects.
Recent studies have highlighted some benefits of outdoor learning for young children:
- higher levels of conversational language.
- greater independence.
- improved health and sleeping patterns.
- greater physical competence and agility.
- improved time focus on activities and more concentration.
- a greater understanding of nature and the environment.
- improved social skills, involvement and initiative.
We love our secret garden and will enjoy being in it whenever we can!
Even in the coldest months, Mrs Millington and her team are continuing to transform our garden.
Left-over slabs and rubble have been used to create a bug habitat, which may also attract common lizards which are already present on the river bank and are rare in the UK so keep your fingers crossed.
The team have also moved some more bark chippings to create a second sitting area by our pond.