We’re the Junior Travel Ambassadors (JTA). With our shining JTA badges and bundles of enthusiasm, we’re the pupils who think about road safety and transport! We are from all year groups across the school to ensure we represent the whole school.
Our Junior Travel Ambassadors join forces with Cambridgeshire's Road Safety Team and lead our school community in making our roads safer, especially for children as they make their way to and from school.
In the past our Junior Travel Ambassadors have:
- campaigned for a 20mph zone in the roads around our school as part of their '20 is plenty!' awareness campaign.
- presented to South Cambs District Council to extend the A10 cycle way
- increased our understanding of rail safety
- Led a 'Be Safe...Be Seen' campaign increasing children visibility in winter
- Increased the number of children walking, cycling and scooting to school
- Won a scooterpod to encourage children to scoot to school
- To encourage our friends and fellow pupils to walk, scoot or cycle to school.
- To raise awareness of road safety.
- To suggest new ways to make the area around our school safe for our friends.
Meldreth JTAs Launch our ‘Bike to School Week!’
To celebrate ‘Bike to School Week’, our Junior Travel Ambassadors launched a promotional assembly explaining why it is so important to try to walk, bike or scoot to school.
After completing a survey of each class, they discovered that the good news was that most of our students arrive to school by these means but, if possible, it would be amazing if those who drove would park a reasonable walking distance away from school and travel by foot the rest of the way. Our aim is to make Meldreth a safe, healthy and pollution-free zone and we appreciate all your support in helping us to do this!