Age related expectations
Children in Year 1 will learn to…
- listen carefully and to follow instructions independently.
- be responsible for their own belongings.
- take responsibility in caring for themselves, the school and each other.
- be confident in recognising and using a variety of vowel diagraphs.
- write sentences using and to add ideas using capital letters, full stops and question marks.
- hold their pencil correctly and begin to form their letters in accordance with the school handwriting policy. read and write numbers to 100.
- count reliably in 1’s 2’s 5’s and 10’s from any given number.
- form their numbers correctly.
- begin to understand what each digit in a 2 digit number represents.
- add and subtract 1 digit and 2 digit numbers to 20, including zero.
- recognise half and quarter of object, shape or quantity.